There are various reasons that people do drugs. The reasons may include
- The youngsters think that doing drugs is a part of the youth culture, so they do it for temporary amusement, to kill boredom and to fit in the group.
- People often use it as self-medication to combat anxiety, loneliness depression and trauma caused by past experiences.
- Most individuals use it to enhance their performance in schools and the workplace as it is scientifically proven that drugs help to stimulate brain cells.
- Some use it as a medium to escape from reality and to calm oneself from the work, family, and study pressure.
So How long drugs stay in our system?
Well, the main question is how long do drugs stay in our system? The factors that determine how long drugs stay in our system are as follows:
- Type of drug used- There are varieties of the drug, but it depends on the frequency and the dose an individual has taken to make it last on the human system for days. For instance, Cannabis stays around 7-30 days in urine, and two weeks in blood, Heroine stays for 3-4 days in urine and 12 hours in blood, Methadone that would stay for 3-4 days in urine and 24-36 hours in blood. Well, the drug detection time also depends on the age, weight, gender, body mass of the person, and the frequency of the drug used.
Some common drugs
Alcohol– Alcohol is the most consumed drug. It is okay to drink alcohol occasionally. However, if a person does it routinely, then he or she is likely to get exposed to diseases.
Marijuana– Marijuana has health benefits, but taking it regularly without any prescription can lead to some long term health issues. Most youngsters are into marijuana to kill boredom and to enjoy it. It is legal in most of American states.
Opioid– This is the most commonly used drug. Heroin, Morphine, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone come under this class of drugs. The doctor prescribes these drugs as a pain reliever. However, people are still abusing it.
- Amount of Drug used- If you’re under medication, then be careful of the dosage you take regularly. Don’t leave the hospital without asking relevant questions about your illness or condition. There are some drugs like Acetaminophen, Benzodiazepines; Anticoagulant can be harsh for your system to digest so be cautious before taking its overdose as it can lead to heart attacks, liver damage, respiratory failure etc. So, consult a doctor even you’re in self-medication as these drugs can lead to some fatal illness and diseases. So, don’t end up missing it.
- Metabolic Rate of the Individual- The Basal Metabolic rate (BMR) should be around 7100 kJ /day in men and 5900 kJ /day in women. So, if your metabolic rate is around this then the after drug effect would be transient, unlike people with low metabolic rate.
- Tolerance power – If you’re taking the drug for a longer time and your body has somehow got accustomed to it, then it automatically becomes tolerant of various drugs.
- How much active you are- If you’re physically active and eat healthily, then your Basal Metabolic Rate would be high, which means that the drug would stay in your system for a shorter period.
- Body Mass- If your body mass is higher and your BMI (Body Mass Index) is high, then the drug would likely stay in your body for a longer time. The drug can accumulate in your tissues, leaving a prolonged effect in your system.
- The acidity of Urine- If the acidity of urine is high, then the detection time would be shorter.
- Hydration level- If the hydration level is high in your body, then it would be easy to eliminate the drug by urinating.
- The time you last had the drug- If you had drug last week with
The minimal dose then obviously it won’t show up in the drug test.
- The drug’s half-line- The drug’s half-line means the time required for a particular drug to reduce fifty percent of the dose taken by an individual.
Here is the half-line of the most common drugs.
Drugs Their Half Line
Cannabis: 1.6 to 59 hours.
Benzodiazepines: 3 to 15 hours.
Cocaine: 1 to 2 hours.
Heroin: 3 to 10 minutes.
Alcohol: 4.5 to 6 hours.
Hallucinogens: 3 to 4 hours.
Drug testing is becoming more common everywhere. There are several reasons that drug testing is done in schools, universities and workplaces.
- To take a note of an individual’s health and provide them with immediate medical care.
- To aware people about the adverse effects of doing drugs.
- To discourage the abuse of drugs amongst young students and adults.
Please don’t go for any random drug as it can cause significant damage to your organs. Getting the relevant information about drugs when you’re under medication is a must. Not only youngsters but even adults are also abusing drugs. The death related to drug overdose is increasing day by day. So, it’s better if look for alternate ways for amusement instead of doing drugs.
Maria Gracia is the founder of myfreerehabcenter.org; It is a free web portal that provides information to fight drug addiction.
She is a yoga and meditation instructor at the Ancient School of Yoga. She has more than eight years of experience working with a Drug addict. Maria is the winner of the International Federation of Yoga Sports. Maria lives in Dallas with her family.